Wednesday, March 7, 2012



So my strategy for becoming a whole foods, health-nut is to take staples that would otherwise make my life easier, and complicate it by making said staples from scratch.. starting with grinding my own flour. Makes sense right? Actually this has been a great way to change with out a lot of change.. baby steps.

My family loves pizza. My husband desires that we partake on a weekly basis. So I started there.. well, actually I started with bread which is eaten daily.. But I've blogged about that before and since the same 2 people that read that blog read this blog, I'm moving on.

My family really likes the taste of this crust (see below). I think it's excellent. I use white winter wheat flour that I grind up in my trusty nutrimill. White winter wheat is not my favorite in bread. I love the nutty flavor of hard red winter wheat, But for some things that you would prefer a more subtle flavor, white winter wheat is fantastic. So what I do, is make like 4x the recipe (takes an afternoon), divide into individual sizes (we all like different toppings), par bake them, and freeze in gallon Ziploc freezer bags, and when you're ready for a nutritious, easy, delicious meal on a Friday night, pull them out, decorate with your toppings of choice and bake for 8-10 min.

Pizza Dough

3 C. whole wheat flour (I grind my own)
2 1/4 tsp (or 1 (.25 oz.) pkg active dry yeast (I get mine at Costco in bulk because I make bread
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Honey
1 C. very warm water

Directions:
Combine flour, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil, honey, and warm water. (I do this in my kitchen aid with the dough hook.) Cover and let sit for 1/2 hr. Then roll it into the size(s) you want. puncture with a fork a few times and add toppings as desired and bake at 375 for 20-25 min. (if it's one large pizza. if it's individual, probably 15 min.. give or take, as oven temps may vary.) If you are going to partially bake them, puncture with a fork, and bake for about 5 min for individual size.



Exquisite Pizza Sauce

I love this recipe, because you don't have to heat anything up. just add all the ingredients and let sit on the counter for a little while to blend flavors. I usually X10 this recipe and put it in quart sized freezer bags (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups) and stick them in the freezer, so on pizza night, I just pull it out (let it thaw) and done. And NO SUGAR!! woohoo! oh, and it' s pretty good. my family likes it and it goes well with the pizza dough.

1 (6 oz) can tomato paste 1/4 tsp dried oregano
6 fluid ounces warm water 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan 1/4 tsp dried basil
1 tsp minced garlic 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp honey salt to taste
3/4 tsp onion powder tomato sauce to taste

mix it all in a bowl and let flavors combine.



Our (Andrea and my.. and probably most of our readers) Aunt Carmen makes this amazing oil/balsamic vinegar dressing, You can put it on sandwiches, salads, anything really.. but I love to put it on my pizza dough (instead of red sauce), topped with cut grape tomatoes, mushrooms, (canned) artichokes, and arugula (then drizzled more dressing and sprinkled feta cheese) and it is HEAVEN. enjoy with a little Pelegrino and it's pretty fancy schmancy. SO easy, and healthy.

Aunt Carmen's oil/vinegar
(i don't know the measurements, I just throw stuff in.)

Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Chopped parsley
Chopped garlic
lemon juice (fresh)
Salt
Pepper


I would now like to take this opportunity to apologize for any grammatical errors, discombobulation, or other imperfections. I have sick, whiny, noisy, arguing, needy, kids wiping their noses on my shirt, and I can't think straight.

Sorry to complain.

I love my kids.

They deserve my attention.

just sayin'

3 comments:

  1. I can vouch for both the pizza dough and pizza sauce. It is our new favorite, as of a couple months ago when Merica shared it with me. I also tried the oil and vinegar pizza, but it was soggy. I must have done something wrong. I will try again in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We (Truman and I) love, love, love pizza! We have some friends who invited us over to dinner one Sunday evening and we made pizzas--it wasn't a traditional Sunday dinner, but a new tradition was born. Truman takes his plain, but I load up the veggies...and keep (gag alert) pepperoni and Canadian bacon on hand for Jesse. And now I ramble.

    Thanks for doing this blog, you two. Not only is it wildly entertaining, I'm excited to try healthy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LOVE homemade pizza too. Just had it the last couple of nights in fact! :) Our kids like plain cheese or cheese and pepperoni but Jason and I love to add spinach, purple onion, avocado, tomato, yellow pepper... that sort of thing. The other night I had a bunch of shredded chicken so we did one pizza with BBQ sauce, chicken and pineapple. YUM. It was scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete