Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bombshell Salad


















I'm about to hit you with a bombshell:

I'm not much for salads.

Yep, I said it. And it's true. I've just never been able to get myself real psyched over a salad. I mean, I like salad, I just don't love it. I don't think about it. I don't crave it. I don't go out of my way to get it. If it's served, I'll eat it, but I don't seek it out.

I have lived with this disability my entire life, and to tell you the truth, I have never felt like a real woman because of it. I mean, what kind of woman doesn't like salad?

I wrestle with this failure daily.

Thankfully, my husband is open-minded and supportive, and has somehow found it in his heart to overlook this flaw in my femininity. Bless him.

But when I happened upon this particular combination, it was like a shaft of heavenly light shone down upon my plate, and for the first time I began to hope.

Hope that I, too, might join the ranks of females who eat salads every single day.

Or, at the very least, the ranks of females who talk about salad in polite company.

Here's the salad that started it all (hopefully it'll trend):

Bombshell Salad

Baby Spinach
Craisins
Pear, chopped
Feta
Candied Walnuts*
Clean Poppyseed Dressing**

Directions: Toss everything together. But only directly before you devour it. With a shovel.

*Honey-Candied Walnuts 
(I make these every other day, because I snack on them and put them on this salad)
1 C. Walnuts 
    2 TBS. Honey 
    1/3 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper (or substitute cinnamon - both are delicious!)
    Dash of Salt (to taste)


Directions: Put honey, cayenne (or cinnamon) and salt in bowl. Microwave 20 seconds to thin honey. Pour walnuts into bowl. Mix with spoon until nuts are covered. Spread on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes @ 350. Stir halfway through. Let cool. Store in tightly covered container. 


**Clean Poppyseed Dressing 
(I always half the recipe, cause 2/3 C. of oil at one time in anything freaks me out a little)
6 TBS honey
1/3 C. red wine vinegar
2 TBS lemon juice
2 TBS onion, chopped (or dehydrated onion flakes)
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 C. olive oil (or whatever kind of oil you want to use)
2 tsp. poppy seeds


Directions: Put first 5 ingredients in blender until well mixed. Add oil gradually while the blender is on. Add poppy seeds and pulse a couple times to incorporate.

2 comments:

  1. I am salavating. I can't wait to put this in the rotation. You know, the 24 hour rotation :) I never would have thought to add cayenne to the nuts. And I'm lazy and heat the honey on a non stick pan and "toast" the nuts there.. 1 step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried pan toasting, but I am a notorious loser when it comes to cooking in pans. I ALWAYS burn things. Ovens are a safer method for me: no temptation to over-stir, under-stir, or start facebooking and forget about the stovetop only to wander back into the kitchen for a snack and find it engulfed in flames. I wish I were that coordinated, but I'm just not. I need an oven with a timer. Or better pans.

    ReplyDelete