Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What do salads, piggybacks, and lightbulbs have in common?




Well, I don't have a lot of time to blog today, but I wanted to update you on my juice fast and piggy back on Andrea's Bombshell Salad. I can't wait to try the poppy seed dressing when I can eat REAL food again. I have a couple other salads that you can share some of the ingredients. I need flavor in my life, so if I post a salad on here, you better believe it's full of it. Flavor that is. at least to me.


Pear and Pomegranate Salad with Orange vinaigrette

Dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (I use red wine vinegar)
1/2 teaspoon Herbamare (or sea salt)
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
pinch cinnamon

Salad:
8 cups mixed organic greens
1 ripe, firm pear, cored and sliced thin
1 cup pecans, toasted*
1 cup pomegranate seeds (arils)

To make the dressing, place all ingredients into a glass jar (old almond butter jars work well), and shake well.

Toss all salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour dressing over and toss again. Serve immediately.

*To toast the pecans: place them in a glass baking dish and toast in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. This brings out their yummy nutty flavor and increases the crunchiness. Watch them carefully, you don't want them to brown too much or burn, just be lightly toasted. Source: www.NourishingMeals.com
(I use a toaster oven)


California Girl Salad

(I named it myself)

When I moved to California 11 years ago and realized that iceberg wasn't the only type of salad, I fell in love. A whole world opened up to me and this was probably the first real salad I had. My husband's aunt made it and I still LOVE it.

Baby mixed greens (spring mix)
sliced pear
avocado
feta
candied sliced almonds
(I just heat honey, or pure maple syrup in a small nonstick pan and toast the almonds in the pan)

Balsamic Vinaigrette


I have always used Newman's Own balsamic vinaigrette, but would like to try out some recipes to make my own. I'll do that when I am eating food again, then I'll share with you my research. OR.. YOU can share with me YOUR balsamic vinaigrette recipes. OR there are recipes all over the web, so find a good one and report back.



So what if FRIDAY is our recipe contribution day!? We'll give you a category and you can share your recipes.

Ok, I voted. And it's a unanimous yes.

Rules: NO sugar, NO packaged or processed ingredients. Whole food only (cheddar cheese ok, Velveeta NOT ok), NO white (all purpose) flour (maybe as a thickener.. )

Disclaimer: These rules might be revised.. probably should have talked to Andrea first. She's usually my voice of reason.

Anyhow, post or link your recipes in a comment.

THIS WEEK: in keeping with the theme of salads..

SALADS

(green, lettuce based)



OK, now for my juice fast update:

I am on day 4. I am feeling great. Never hungry, I have lost a few pounds, although I wasn't keeping track so I don't know for sure, but I have decided to log it starting today. Day 2 (which I am repeating today) was definitely harder than day one. The recipes were more vegetably and I tried to simplify by juicing all of my drinks in the morning and then putting them in the fridge for consumption throughout the day. Makes sense RIGHT? You would probably have come to that conclusion too. But learn from my mistake and DON'T DO IT. I gave them all a sip as I made them and although they weren't as tasty as strawberries, blackberries, and kiwi, They weren't bad. However, when I pulled them out later after sitting in the fridge getting cold, blending flavors, (and I swear fermenting) It was AWFUL. So hard to get down. Hot dogs (that my kids were eating.. I know) never smelled so good. Anyway, I'll just be juicing 4 times a day from now on.

Yesterday, I only got around to drinking 3 glasses. I wasn't hungry in the least. I usually have a little baggy of raw nuts to snack on and drink a lot of water between "meals".







4 comments:

  1. Great idea for Friday! Also, you aren't supposed to juice ahead of time because the juice loses its nutrients FAST when oxidized. So there's that. And yeah, I tried it once, and even fresh apple juice tastes disgusting after it sits in the fridge for a while. Darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I toast almonds and pecans in a sauce pan on the stove; unfortunately, I have an electric stove so I do it over medium heat (stirring constantly). It generally takes about 5 minutes and they are divine. Please (oh, please) don't tell me they lose any nutrient value by doing it that way.

    Oh, and I can't wait to try all of these salads (and dressings)! AND it does my heart so much good to know that your kiddos were eating hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea! Why do you know so much? and Raquel, obviously Andrea should answer your question about how to cook the nuts. I would say microwaving is the only thing that would destroy enough nutrients to make a difference, but I'm the girl who put all my juice in the fridge for hours on end.. what do I know? And Yes, my kids are eating crap. I don't have the desire to enforce rules about meals while I'm not even enjoying them. I did opt for the Annie's mac n cheese though instead of Kraft. So, see, I'm committed. I think once I get this juicing thing all under control, I can be better. so for now, look only to Andrea for a whole food example.

    btw, thanks for being a faithful follower :) I am looking forward to your contribution tomorrow on our friday recipe exchange.. it may just be you, ,me, and Andrea, but I'm still excited.

    This blog is so fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merica, I just made the Pear and Pomegranate Salad for lunch (eating it right now), but I didn't have arils or pears, so I just did mixed greens, cut up mango, parmesan, candied walnuts, and craisins. It is good! I love that dressing! It is so citricy and fresh. Yum.

      Delete