Monday, February 13, 2012

Last-Second Pasta

Today I was NOT feeling dinner.

I took my kids to Taco Bell.

I know, I know.

But we haven't eaten fast food in almost two months, and like I said,

Not feeling it.

But then, in a strange twist of fate, my son (for the first time in his life) ate his entire burrito. The burrito I was planning to finish for him after the two tiny bites he always takes.

I was out of luck.

Then I got really busy getting the kids ready for bed.

By the time my husband got home, I was in a starve-induced grouch coma.

He was hungry, too, but had been eating leftovers all day, and didn't want any more.

I angrily thought, "I give up."

He juiced us some vegetables, I took a couple gulps, and instantly felt right peppy!

(the fact that the kids were finally all tucked into bed may have contributed to the peppiness, but I like to attribute it all to the juice)

Peppy enough to roust us up some dinner.

I put some whole wheat noodles on to boil.

Then I sauteed whatever random vegetables I found rolling around the bottom of the crisper.

I planned to put Parmesan over the noodles, but found that I was all out. Lucky for me, I had a little homemade pizza sauce that needed using.

By the time the noodles were done, I had a saucy vegetable medley rarin' to go.

I tossed the noodles in there, added garlic salt and a little olive oil, and voila!















Dinner was finally served! At 9 p.m.

Then I forgot to take a picture until I was packing up the leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.

Anyway, it was so quick and easy: 15 minutes start (of noodles boiling) to finish.

I think it will become my new go-to lazy meal!

Here's the official recipe for my Last-Second Pasta:

Whole Wheat noodles - cook according to package directions.

Meanwhile:

In saute pan, heat a little olive oil and toss in chopped onion, bell pepper, peas, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, spinach, and anything else you have in your fridge.

Saute until browned and spinach is nice and wilted.

Dump in some tomato sauce of any kind (or skip this step).

Drain noodles and add to saute pan. Add a little more olive oil if your noodles are sticky.

Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.

Serve.

Now tell me, what is your favorite last-minute dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment